Saturday, May 5, 2012

Her Majesty’s English Tea Room at Fairchild’s and Third Bee Swarm!

Thirty three years ago, I gave birth to the most beautiful baby girl! Today my brother Eric and I took her to Her Majesty’s English Tea Room at Fairchild’s in Dunlap, Illinois, to celebrate her birthday.
michellebdaytaxi Not only is it a delightful tea room, but it also is a beautiful store to shop at, with many wonderful things and darling decorations. This was a taxi and one of the teas party’s they offer, can actually be served in the taxi! We are considering that for Michelle’s birthday next year. More pictures of the taxi…
Eric had a dream come true, and got to pose with Prince William and Kate.. (look at that adorable little flower fairy apron in the foreground!)
GEDC7717The tea, itself, was delicious and the presentation was gracious and elegant. Michelle and I had lovely tiara’s and Eric had a coronet.
At the end of our wonderful tea, Michelle was presented with a meringue cake and a little singing bear:)
birthdaybear 
GEDC7794Happy Birthday Michelle! I love you  so very much!
We also stopped at a plant nursery and saw some gorgeous things and sweet fairy gardens, but I will save those for a different post and share about the swarm instead! We had no sooner than got home and I got a call to come get a swarm. I called Eric, who is crazy and helped catch this swarm in his flip flops, shorts and sleeveless shirt, (see I have been telling you swarms are gentle!).  The hive had been in this guys tree but he had thrown firecrackers and I suspect other things from the amount of injured bees on the ground when we got there. Anyway, the bees had came and settled on his table umbrella and it took us awhile to figure out the queen was on the inside of the umbrella!
When we got the hive to Eric’s house and reopened it to put in the rest of the frames, the bees were making a bridge between the frames we had in there. I thought you might enjoy seeing this phenomenon.
GEDC7823 
GEDC7824
                             Eric and the new hive!!
GEDC7825 Herbal and Honey Hugs to all who visit Comfrey Cottages xx

8 comments:

Rowan said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter - what a nice way to celebrate her birthday:)
Imagine throwing firecrackers at the bees! How dreadful to maim and kill such useful creatures. Why didn't he just call you straightaway I wonder.

Anke said...

Happy Birthday to you daughter! It looks like you chose a wonderful place to celebrate her day.
I am so glad you were able to get the hive, I really can't believe the guy threw firecrackers at the bees. That "bee bridge" is something I have never seen before. They are amazing little creatures.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day out. It's funny to see the black cab being used as a mini tea room!
I'm so happy you got to rescue the bees before any more harm befell them. xxxx

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

You must have been a baby yourself, CC! You are going to have to come with a new name, Superbeeswarmer! Oooh, that might turn badly! The tea looked amazing. I was at tea yesterday too! This is just too weird! Happy Birthday Michelle! xxoo Nancy

Comfrey Cottages said...

Rowan, honestly I think that fellow is just a creep! A lot of beekeepers charge money to retrieve swarms. I think he was playing macho for his woman! Ugh! And being cheap, although I don't charge!
Oh cool Anke! I am glad I could show you something new:)
I know Lucinda! That cab is where we think we might do her next years party! I could hardly get Michelle and Eric out of it! lol!! xx
I was rather young Nancy. I got married at 18 and then proceeded to have 3 children before I was 21! They were all born within 24 months! It was great though, as they had each other to play with and are still close! We are so attuned with even having teas on the same day! lol!xx
I will pass on all your lovely wishes ladies, to Michelle! Thanks you and love to you all xxx

Rita M said...

The English Tea Room at Fairchild’s looks great Leslie, your daughter was spoiled this day :) And there are a lot of lovely pictures.
Cool... never seen a bee bridge, how is Erics hive doing?

*Ulrike* said...

Don't the years pass by fast? Your daughter must have had a great time with you guys!
Swarms do funny things, don't they? By the way I love the tea room! Would love to go there one day.
Take Care,
Ulrike

Anonymous said...

Her Majesty's English Tea Room is a rare & unique experience, one our granddaughers request & is now becoming a family tradition. The pictures are great of this Dunlap, Illinois gem. Have enjoyed numerous events here including a bridal shower.