Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fabulous Find (pssst something for those menopausal power surges)

This spring, I hosted the UK Herbarium group blog party one month and my dear friend Rita contributed her recipe for elderflower cordial to the party. When our elderflowers bloomed I gathered some and followed her recipe. Simply delicious and I began to just crave a nice cold glass of water mixed with the cordial in the evenings. Coincidentally, I started sleeping like a newborn baby… I eventually ran out of the cordial … and started sleeping poorly again…The other day I just developed this powerful CRAVING for the cordial and thought, well I will just make a batch with some elderflower I had dried.. in the meantime I wrote Rita and told her how I was craving it and mentioned that strangely, I had not slept as well  in the last few months as I did while enjoying the cordial nightly. She said she had never heard of elderflower as a sleep aid either, so I went to my bookshelves and just chose Backyard Medicine by Julie Bruton-Seal and Matthew Seal to reference. I figured I would just pour through all the different books and try to figure out just why this cordial made me sleep so soundly! Well right away I see that in that book, the cordial is recommended for hot flashes! A light bulb went off and I have it figured out! You see I thought I was through with my hot flashing part of menopause. I no longer can count up to 35 distinct power surges per hour, wake up so drenched I have to change night shirts 6, 7, 8 times a night. I occasionally feel a bit of a surge, but nothing like I used to feel. The rapid pulse, anxious almost anxiety type of feeling. And I have just attributed my poor sleep pattern of waking several times a night on the kitties wrestling on the covers or one of them cuddled up in my tummy too tight to why I was just a bit too hot…well I know now I must be still having hot flashes, just not as severe, so that is why the elderflower cordial helps me sleep so well.. it is controlling the power surge and keeping me at an even keel! lol! Now in looking back at the really intense flashes I must say I did use cold elderflower tea quite a bit, and it did help, but I believe if I would have been making this cordial then, and just keeping a thermos of cool water and cordial with me at all times I would have had a much, much easier time of it, ( and lets face it, the cordial just tastes yummier than the tea so would have used it more).  I had to rush and share this with all of you, hoping that it will help one of my hot flashing mama friends deal with her power surges too:) 

Children love this cordial too. Don’t worry, perfectly safe for them!

GEDC6331

Lily squeezing all the juice out of the lemon slices

GEDC6333

GEDC6334

And enjoying her cordial!

Big honey and herbal hugs to all of you who visit Comfrey Cottages xx

14 comments:

Pat Dowd said...

Love it Leslie! I will be sure to try this corgial as my hot flashes wake me at night, though not so severe, a bother all the same.

Comfrey Cottages said...

I hope this helps for you too Pat! Thanks honey! xxxx

Anke said...

That is really good to know! My hot flashes aren't as bad as your's but I will definitely keep this in mind, should they get worse.

Comfrey Cottages said...

It can really be of benefit if they get worse Anke. big hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience to your elderflower cordial experience after trying Tina Sam's Holy (Tulsi) Basil/Albizzia tincture, but since it's a compound tincture, I didn't know whether to attribute the effects (mimimal to no hot-flashes and restful sleep)to the Basil, Albizzia, or small amt. of alcohol from the alcohol-based tincture. And I'm sorry you've had difficulties with the herbal course you were taking. I considered taking that course, once, but it was financially out of my reach, plus, I can only study and complete course materials sporadically due to other work obligations, so I went with Rosemary Gladstar's course, instead. It was affordable, and there I can complete it at my own, erratic, pace.

Rita M said...

That's great, who would have thought. I just thought it was healthy and delicious :)I will keep this in mind.
Big hugs XXX

Lisa said...

I always love the knowledge I get from you Leslie! Smiles and hugs! :)

Comfrey Cottages said...

Cyra, I have heard of tulsi being used in regards to hot flashes. Bio identical hormone therapy:) And albizzia is great for anxiety and stress, which go hand in hand with flashes and menopause, so I totally get how that would have helped you:) Thanks about the course, I was pretty devastated for awhile, but karma smiled and gave me new teacher/ mentors:) Thanks for visiting xx
Big hugs to you Rita and your Lisa! Cool info huh? xx

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Can't believe how tall Lily is and what a big help for you! Menopause still has an influence over my hair! LOL! Thanks for stopping by CC!

Rowan said...

I've never used elderflower cordial for hot flashes as it's not an use for it that I've come across before. I just drink it because I love it:)

Charlie Farrow said...

My elderflower cordial was so delicious the family have demanded gallons of it this year.

It is very nice with ice water, but it's gorgeous as a mixer with gin, garnished with fresh mint and a strawberry!

Comfrey Cottages said...

You sound like my kind of gal,
charlie!:) I look forward to our herbal journey with Sarah together! xx thanks for visiting

Charlie Farrow said...

Good to meet you Lesie!

Lady of the Woods said...

I love the effect the cordial had on you. The elderberry flowers are beautiful! I wonder if the whole recipe could be given? I went to the site but she didn't say ow long to 'cook' the flowers and lemons? thank you, Lady