Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ooooo I would like some vodka please!

When birthdays come around and family starts asking me what I would like, I always have a huge list of books and other things for them to choose from:) I love presents! This year Eric asked me and I immediately said, “ Ooooo I could use some vodka please!”

GEDC4098

The lemon balm was at the perfect time for harvest and I was out of vodka, and wanted to make some alcohol herbal extracts… so Eric bought me two bottles for my birthday this year:) Nice huh? LOL!!!

GEDC4089

So on a quiet Saturday I harvested about sink full at a time of lemon balm, came inside and plucked through the leaves one at a time, discarding the less that perfect, while watching the Victorian Pharmacy series I received from my friend Debs:) A totally pleasant day:) Debs wrote quite a bit about lemon balm in this post. I know you will enjoy reading it too.

Other lovely birthday goodies

GEDC4105

Son Tommy and his family gave me wonderful Burts Bees products, presented inside that cute ladybug toy, (plus souvenirs from their Florida vacation). Buddy Marci, in Washington state, sent me oh so lovely grapefruit scented soap, lavender eo and the nicest ladle ever! My sweet Rita in Belgium sent me a darling friends magnet and some viola seeds from her garden!

Daughter Michelle and her family gave me balloons, flowers, some much needed clothes and made me the most wonderfully delicious and gorgeously decorated cake

GEDC4087

GEDC4088

GEDC4066

GEDC4563

Also included in the package from Marci, was a sample of her black cottonwood buds infused in olive oil. I sent her a sample of mine also, which is made from eastern cottonwood buds. Hers is the one on the right which is much redder in color and I thought, more piney smelling. We know I harvested mine a bit later than I should have for this area, but I did try to get some earlier, (wrote about that in this post), and even then my type of cottonwood buds while resinous, seemed to be more sweet smelling than particularly, for lack of a better word, piney.  It will be great fun for us to use the oils in various ways and compare our impressions:)

GEDC4573

Big hugs to all who visit Comfrey Cottages xx

7 comments:

Brigitte said...

Happy Birthday Leslie!

Oh my!
What a delicious gorgeous birthday cake!!!
Wish you and your loved ones a happy healthy and sweet honey time!

Love Brigitte

GardenOfDaisies said...

Happy birthday!! I have to ask...What do you use the lemon balm extract for?

Anke said...

Happy Birthday Leslie! It sounds like you had a wonderful day and received some lovely presents. The birthday cake is awesome!

Comfrey Cottages said...

Thank you Brigitte! How lovely to hear from you:) thank you for the sweet wishes dear one! Love you xoxxo
Thanks for visiting Gayle:) Lemon balm is oh so useful for so very many things. It is calming, soothing, anti spasmodic, anti viral, anti bacterial.... Do you grow it by any chance? Check out the link I posted to learn lots more:) xxx
Hi Anke!! I am still having problems posting comments to blogs. Have you been receiving mine? I have tried to comment on all the recent fun with your sister being there... thanks for the wishes xxx

Rita M said...

Lovely presents Leslie,and what a beautiful delicious cake, I can almost taste it :)
You're so blessed with such loving family and friends!!

Big hugs my dear friend
XXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

I almost said, me too. Then I remembered I have a jug in the herb closet.
I am glad you had a lovely day.

Comfrey Cottages said...

thanks Stephany, it was lovely!!