Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Daily Harvesting of Something!

most evenings find me spreading herbs to dry on screens and in baskets, or freezing them in single layers to add to bags in the freezer. seems no matter what, each day has at least a few things to harvest! i am garden space challenged here at comfrey cottage. there isn't alot of spots that are very sunny so i can't put in as many veggies and fruits as i would like. but, between what spots there are, and the patio pots almost daily there is something to harvest! i also take daily walks with the children and harvest from some of the neighbors yards (with permission) for additional things. todays harvest was bountiful (on my modest small scale). here is a sampling in this pic. i have these darling fairy eggplants, yellow tomatoes, romas, parsley, yarrow, orange and chocolate mint, lemon verbena, chamomile,echinacea blossoms, and calendula all from my yard today. the walnuts are from a tree at one of our rentals. some of the hibiscus flowers are from my father in laws and some from my bushes. i just gather from wherever i can!

HPIM5257

i have screens and baskets throughout my little den and kitchen.

HPIM5261

HPIM5262

even though earl (the black striped kitty) and rumbley, have both taken over two of my best baskets! now how is that for a table centerpiece?!

HPIM5264

HPIM5265

there are jars of comfrey oil, yarrow  tincture and st. john’s wort oil all steeping along on top of the herbal medicine cabinet

HPIM5260

and the honey bucket, which still has a basket of wax draining in it, does double duty by hosting a plate of cucumbers waiting to be dealt with!

HPIM5259

my brother has a friend who likes to garden, but can’t eat it all, so i get some extra things from him. gosh, i have bags and counters of these big whopping cukes staring at me!

HPIM5263

luckily, for those who aren’t on facebook and didn’t see this link before, i found a good site with tons of cuke recipes. these are mostly too big for pickling, so did a web search and found tons of cool recipes at that site! i think some of them can be used for bread and butter pickles though.

now if there were just more hours in the day….

big herbal hugs to all who visit comfrey cottages!

3 comments:

Rosemary said...

I simply *love* those big cats being hugged by those baskets!
Nancy

Comfrey Cottages said...

lol! oh nancy, my cats are the kings/ and queens around here! i am always afraid someone will think i am an eccentric collector of cats, but i am not! each one of them has there own sad story of an earlier life until either my duaghter or i found them, or they found me! thanks for visiting dear!

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

All I want to know is if the cats help with harvesting the daily something! That's all you can ask! As you can tell, I'm slowly losing it! LOL! Hugs all around even for those cats! Achoo!